Almost all companies now have a website , an essential tool to be visible and to comply with consumer expectations.
Very quickly, the development of search engine algorithms revealed that a website alone was not going to be enough on its own . To become known on the Web and target the consumer, strategies have been developed over time, encompassed in what is called digital marketing.
Why do digital marketing?
The benefits of digital marketing
Why do companies use digital marketing or hire a digital marketing agency ? Quite simply because a digital strategy offers multiple advantages, applicable to all types of companies, of different sizes and means :
- Digital marketing allows direct interaction with the customer ;
- The information obtained on the consumers helps you to adapt the offer and to propose a personalized product or service which corresponds to their needs;
- Digital marketing promotes customer loyalty and satisfaction through a lasting and quality relationship;
- It also allows you to save costs and budgets : owning a website costs less than setting up a physical store;
- Digital marketing creates 24/7 availability of your business ;
- The international opening is facilitated;
- Gaining visibility improves your brand image and allows you to reach a wider audience ;
- Digital marketing offers many more facilities and possibilities (for the company, but also for employees thanks to teleworking);
- The results on the performance of your business are much more precise than before thanks to the analysis of KPIs ;
- Digital marketing also makes it possible to target new customers, detect leads and thus differentiate yourself from the competition thanks to a tailor-made strategy.
The different levers of digital marketing
SEO: SEO and SEA
Web referencing is essential to increase traffic to your site: a good referencing allows you to position yourself in the first results of search engines .
However, the broader concept also includes all actions taken to attract traffic and influence the number of visitors.
There are two methods to achieve this:
- Natural referencing using keywords , relevant content on your site that will facilitate your positioning in web searches;
- Paid referencing , which corresponds to the purchase of advertisements such as an AdWords campaign or banners.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) refers to methods related to natural referencing (netlinking, content marketing, etc.), while SEA is paid referencing (display only, selective display, etc.). Although they are different, the two are no less complementary .
Which method should be favored for your SEO strategy ? Are they complementary?
SEO , if it seems less expensive than SEA, is a long-term job . It is based on the regular writing of articles in order to go up in the results of search engines.
The SEA saves time, but is not enough on its own : buying AdWords campaigns will not be of much use to you for a site that is empty of relevant content or information. On the other hand, it improves your SEO by filling the gaps in SEO. The two methods are therefore perfectly complementary.
Digital marketing and social media: Which strategy to adopt?
Social media or SMO (Social Media Optimization) is an integral part of any effective digital marketing . Understand by SMO the expanded field of research via social networks, increasingly popular with the use of hashtags for example.
Social networks make it possible, among other things, to increase traffic to your site through the publication of regular posts on your activity.
5 good reasons to develop a social media strategy for your SaaS company
In ten years, social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn… have become essential. They are equally well used by B2B professionals and SaaS publishers.
What is a social media strategy for?
- Increase the visibility of your SaaS B2B business: by publishing content regularly, you will expand your audience and the visibility of your business.
- Improve communication with customers : each post, like, share, private message used by Internet users is a communication channel.
- Reduce marketing costs: less expensive than an advertising campaign, a well-constructed social media strategy can be just as profitable .
- Deepen knowledge of customers/prospects : the information collected makes it possible to refine knowledge of your personas and therefore of your offer.
- Generate trust and credibility : the presence of a SaaS company on social networks generates trust and implies an ability to respond and deal with problems effectively.
Digital marketing: online public relations, what to do?
Public relations is an important strategy in the vast field of digital marketing. What is online PR? They aim to develop the image of your company on the Internet, namely its e-reputation .
In fact, a PR campaign establishes your credibility on the web : if the Internet talks about you through different channels, you stand out. Online communities and blogs are the main mediums for developing your public relations and sharing your company’s values.
The affiliate strategy
Affiliation is a contract between a merchant site and partner sites affiliated with its program: concretely, this means that a partner site hosts affiliate content (banners, links, product catalogs) that will redirect the visitor to the merchant site. This marketing method increases the acquisition of traffic .
What are the advantages ?
- Affiliation offers a win-win relationship : if you are the merchant site, you increase your traffic, while the partner site earns a commission on each click or sale from its site;
- Commissions are variable or fixed on sales or clicks generated.
Native advertising within your digital marketing strategy
Native advertising is a form of advertising that was created with or against the massive arrival of advertising banners on the web . The idea is to produce an ad that doesn’t look like an ad.
By integrating naturally on a media site, in the form of “brand content” , native advertising integrates with existing content and appears as an additional source of information.
Native advertising can take many different forms :
- Sponsored commercial links that appear in search results;
- Sponsored posts: the sponsored content that we regularly see on social networks ;
- Recommendation widgets: distributed on quality sites;
- Sponsored listings: on Google, Amazon, Etsy…;
- Feature articles or infographics : articles or infographics that highlight the company’s product or service in a more general context, published in the web press.
Companies are using it more and more in the face of the increase in adblockers and the promotion of content on the Internet.
Digital marketing strategy: the importance of e-mailing
E-mailing refers to marketing campaigns distributed in the form of e-mails , with the aim of promoting a company, a product or a service by addressing a user directly via his e-mail address. Long king of acquisition strategies, e-mailing has however suffered from automatic blockers of mailboxes which sent them immediately to spam.
Is e-mail dead for all that? Well no ! An email campaign would even be more effective than a sponsored social media campaign . Even today, e-mail offers a very direct form of contact with your customers and prospects in B2B.
For an effective B2B email campaign, here are some tips:
- Pay attention to the subject of your email : it must be impactful to encourage the recipient to open it;
- Use good software and segment the database;
- Prefer a short and readable message as well as a neat design ;
- Be respectful of the regulations : beware of purchased e-mailing lists for which you do not have the agreement of your contacts;
- Clearly express the contribution of your added value to the client/prospect.
Thinking about mobile marketing in your digital strategy
The invasion of smartphones in our daily lives has given rise to a new form of mobile marketing. The numbers don’t lie: in 2018, global Internet traffic via computer represented only 46%, compared to 54% for mobile devices.
By 2021, mobile is expected to reach 61% of global internet traffic .
Faced with such preponderance, some companies have ended up developing a “mobile first” strategy : that is to say that most of the efforts and investments are intended for mobile users.
To establish a “mobile first” strategy, the methods vary from responsive design to the creation of mobile applications.
Digital marketing: implementing inbound marketing
Inbound marketing literally means “inbound marketing” : this digital marketing strategy is based on the idea of attracting natural traffic through quality content rather than going to canvass your potential prospects.
The methodology is based on 4 pillars: attract , convert , transform and retain .
How Does Inbound Marketing Generate More Leads? The regular problem of SaaS B2B often boils down to this question: how to find new prospects?
With new consumption habits, consumers no longer wait for brands to pick them up, they go directly to them: Inbound marketing was born from this observation .
For decades, the golden rule of any good marketer was to seek out the customer. Digital marketing has obviously not escaped the trend, and companies have saturated the Web with advertising messages, addressed to as many people as possible in the hope of reaching a few.
However, this strategy is proving to be quite ineffective today : saturated with advertisements, the Web sees its users tired by this permanent hype .
Companies have understood this and are gradually turning away from this not very avant-garde marketing: according to a HubSpot study, in 2016, some 17% of marketing professionals still believe that Outbound would be more effective for generating leads.
The obvious solution, instead of going to find prospects on the Internet, is to use the Internet to naturally attract prospects , thanks to tools like:
- The website : showcase of your activity on the Web, essential to provide the information sought by the customer;
- The creation of a blog : to give an informative added value to your prospect;
- The use of social networks : to expand your audience and generate the maximum number of leads;
- The role of salespeople: instead of prospecting, salespeople address, thanks to inbound marketing, a base of prospects who are already interested ; their role is now to convert them!
The success of inbound marketing in numbers:
A HubSpot study on ROI, published in 2015, proves the growing success of inbound marketing :
– 92.34% of companies say they are increasing their traffic ;
– 92.7% generate more leads;
– 42.2% increase their lead-to-customer conversion rate.
L’importance du marketing automation
Automated marketing that does everything for you? Not exactly, but almost! This method allows you to automate certain tasks, analyze the data collected and then personalize your communication .
Marketing automation, how does it work? Marketing automation makes it possible to first study the behavior of leads or customers, by dissecting their behavior when faced with the different options offered.
Le marketing automation analyse :
- Web browsing;
- The reactions related to e-mailing : reading time, click-through rate, etc. ;
- Behavior on social networks : engagement, number of likes, shares, comments, etc.
Secondly, it allows you to adapt your inbound marketing strategy according to the statistics automatically generated : to give a concrete example of the results of marketing automation, 80% of leads rejected by salespeople become customers within 24 months .
How is it possible ? Marketing automation acts on several fronts :
- The affine le scoring ;
- He adapts the storytelling to the lead/customer;
Marketing automation software is complementary to an inbound marketing strategy : it takes over where the inbound strategy is less efficient, and intensifies the results of your strategy in place.
Content marketing: a central element of your digital marketing
Content marketing, “content strategy” in French, is an essential component of digital marketing and especially of inbound marketing.
The content strategy is quite simply the provision of informative, entertaining content with real added value in order to seduce its customers or prospects . White papers, digital magazines, blogs dedicated to brand image: there are many ways to feed a strategy of this type.
Content marketing is used to:
- Generate visits ;
- Promote conversion in e-commerce : videos, customer reviews, advice on sizes, etc.;
- Create support dedicated to branding .
Content marketing versus Inbound marketing ?
Are content marketing and inbound marketing two opposite or, conversely, closely related strategies?
Content is kind of the fuel of your inbound marketing strategy, so the two are pretty much intertwined .
If you are developing an inbound marketing strategy, content is a key component. Inbound works with relevant content, which stems from a solid content strategy : your blog articles, for example, must resonate with each other to offer a precise approach to your information sector and thus convert your leads .
Content and inbound marketing go hand in hand : published articles need the support of a general inbound campaign to reveal their full potential and achieve optimal reach.
Ultimately, an ideal digital marketing strategy would be to use every lever there is . But due to a lack of resources and at the risk of getting scattered, this is not always possible.
Focus on the needs of your business , the nature of your prospects (B2B or B2C), the timing imposed on you, your technical and financial means in order to design a personalized strategy .